Part-song for SATB, op. 18/1, edited by Robert Parker and Sandra Tuppen
Words by C. Alice Elgar
Elgar composed his four-part song ‘O Happy Eyes’ in late 1889 and submitted it for publication early in 1890. The publisher, Novello, initially rejected it. Elgar revised and re-submitted it in 1893, and, though this time accepted by Novello, the song was not published until 1896, in spite of a plea Elgar made to the firm in 1895. Its first appearance in print was in The Musical Times in 1896. Alice Elgar’s words were written in February 1888, before her engagement to Elgar.